Subject: subject: Kaufman and Otello
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Aug 2017 01:56:53 +0000

David Shengold wrote (inter alia)

Plus there were tenors who took it on (apparently) creditably enough, the
>likes of Giuseppe Oxilia, Antonio Paoli, Carlos Guichandut, Hans Kaart,
>Renato Francesconi, Zurab Anzhaparidze, the unique (speriam!)  Frank
>Mullings,  Franz Voelker (offstage horses neigh) , Josep Gostic, Vladimir
>Galouzine, James King, Max Lorenz, Pier Mirando Ferraro.

I could credit most of them, without having heard them, but the one that caught my eye was Frank Mullings; if the recordings that attest to his art are anything to go by, he would surely have been anything but credible, I have never heard a more strangulated and tortured tone in my life.

I marvel at how he had a career.

Regards, Isaac Alan