Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: Kenneth Bleeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:44:06 -0400

This is off-topic, but I'm continually surprised that perfectly literate
writers (Mr. Levine, you happen to be my immediate example, but don't take
it personally; you have plenty of worthy company) increasingly use
apostrophes to form plurals with "s" (e.g. "Otello's," "Norma's"). With the
exception of plurals of letters used as single words (e.g. "p's and q's"),
numerical figures ditto (e.g. "6's and 7's"), and (perhaps) acronyms
("CEO's"), "s" plurals in English don't take an apostrophe. Any thoughts on
why this usage, if not exactly ubiquitous, is now fairly common?