Subject: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Aug 2017 17:43:53 +0000

http://www.45cat.com/record/7eph1043

Mr. Van Den Beck always seems pleased to contradict my posts, but in fact according to `the Dutch site  "401 Dutch Divas" Hans Kaart sang Otello in Dusseldorf in the 1961-1962 season-- and on the basis of reviews for that Otello was hired by Lyric Opera of Chicago for Samson opposite Gorr in 1962. Sadly, he died the year after.

Dutch HMV (1963, 7 EPH 1043)  released an LP - perhaps a posthumous tribute?-  called "Ora e per sempre addio" with a picture of Kaart as Otello , containing excerpts from OTELLO and TROVATORE with his mezzo wife Caroline Raitt). The text on it, which can be seen online ( Google it, I have no luck posting urls here for reasons I don't understand) states that he sang Otello. If Mr. Van Den Back knows that these are false statements on HMV's part and the Dutch Divas website's part that would be interesting to know.
The great Vezzani ( run, do not walk, to Youtube, try "Rachel, quand du Seigneur" or "Roi du ciel" or "Asile hereditaire" ) certainly recorded some of Otello's music in, AFAIK, 1925: "Tout m'abandonne, adieu", "Dieu, tu pouvais m'infliger" and "Que nul ne craigne". Given his rep and huge voice I am surprised to hear he never ventured Otello onstage, but have no French research tools to track that down.  Some people just didn't/don't!

I actually had *meant* to list another Corsican tenor of the same type, though less splendid: Jose Luccioni, who near the end of his career sang it opposite the young Crespin: the live recording ( in French, of course) is one of my favorite souvenirs of her.
I live one block from where Lanza grew up-- and also Dusolina Giannini. *Her* recordings I listen to with pleasure...
Cheers - David