Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Aug 2017 14:45:30 +0000

I agree that Tucker and Corelli were smart not to sing Otello in their prime. As for Bergonzi, he was nearly 75 when he attempted one performance and had nothing to lose. I have read that Von K tried to get him to sing Otello, either live or on recording in his prime but Carlo turned him down. Reluctantly, a few months ago on You Tube, I listened to some of the dress rehearsal of Carlo's Otello, and I thought he sounded surprisingly good on the recording. I have read that he was sick or had some vocal problem the night of the actual performance, due to air conditioning or some other reason. I never saw Domingo's Otello live, but on TV and some You Tube performances he sounded great in the role, especially the one from La Scala with Freni, which may have been his first or very early performances of the role.