Subject: Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 5 Aug 2017 05:29:25 +0000

 Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"There is something to be said for this.  Otello at the Met in the 20th
century included Leo Slezak in 1913 and then nothing until Giovanni
Martinelli did it in 1938.  Then there was Torsten Ralf, Set Svanholm and
Ramon Vinay then Del Monaco and after him Vickers, McCracken, and Domingo.
Yes there were others, notably in  Europe Carlo Cossutta a contemporary of
Domingo but today its it becoming almost a repertory piece."
With respect, the key phrase here-- at least you state it, it's often just implicit hereabouts!- is "at the Met".
Other leading 20th century Otellos would include Giovanni Zenatello, Renato Zanelli, Aureliano Pertile, Francesco Merli, Paul Franz, Ivan Ershov, Cesar Vezzani, Wolfgang Windgassen, Charles Craig, Giuseppe Giacomini, Vladimir Atllantov.

Plus there were tenors who took it on (apparently) creditably enough, the likes of Giuseppe Oxilia, Antonio Paoli, Carlos Guichandut, Hans Kaart, Renato Francesconi, Zurab Anzhaparidze, the unique (speriam!)  Frank Mullings,  Franz Voelker (offstage horses neigh) , Josep Gostic, Vladimir Galouzine, James King, Max Lorenz, Pier Mirando Ferraro.

I'm sure there are more in both categories. My point is that the role's casting history is nowhere near so narrow as its *Met* history.
(Melchior also sang Otello in Chicago, I believe-- the site of Martinelli's Trstan!)

Cheers - David Shengold