Subject: Jonas Kaufmann Confirms Met Opera Return
From: E J Michel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 23:09:14 -0400

----
Jonas Kaufmann Confirms Met Opera Return
// operawire.com

Jonas Kaufmann has announced plans to return to the Metropolitan Opera.

During a press conference in Sydney the tenor addressed his cancellation for the upcoming production of “Tosca” and said,  “I can assure you that I offered them part of the shows, I wanted to sing there and I didn’t want to disappoint my fans in New York.”

He added, “I just didn’t want to be there for such a long time, so I said I’m offering part of the performances to someone else so that I can come later to rehearsals and not do all of the rehearsal process, whatever the deal would have been, whether it’s 50/50 or 60/40 or whatever, or whether I sing the first shows or the last shows – this was all on the table. And unfortunately, The Met decided to not take any of it, but take somebody else instead, and luckily they found someone, or they probably had him already in the pipe.”

As for his return, he noted that after discussions with the Met they found solutions for his upcoming engagements. He said, “We spoke also for the future, because obviously it wasn’t the only contract I had at The Met, and for the next things we found a solution, so I will come and perform at The Met, but I will not be there such a long time. This is all.”

Kaufmann has been absent from the Met after numerous cancellations in Bizet’s “Carmen” and a highly anticipated new production of Puccini’s “Manon Lescaut.” No word yet on when he is slated to return.

----

Read in my feedly

Sent from my iPad