Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: Kenneth Bleeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 21:24:49 -0400

Max,

It seems unlikely that your late friend heard *Otello* with this cast.
Melchior never sang the role at the Met. He did perform it at Covent Garden
in the 1930s, but not with Rethberg or Tibbett. Perhaps his Otello was
Martinelli, who was joined by Rethberg and Tibbett in numerous Met
performances from 1937 until 1941.

Ken Bleeth