Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: Sergio da Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 21:14:15 -0400

O’Neill is simply awful in that recording, I heard him live to much better advantage in Das Lied von Der Erde.
Tamagno was very old (for his time) and way past his prime when he recorded (he died a year later and was ins semi-retirement).
So comparing Tamagno to O’Neill is almost a sacrilege.
The old timers in Italy said Tamagno’s voice set the chandeliers rattling, so a lot of squillo and he reportedly had powerful high notes including a high C, none of that applies to O’Neill. Anyway Verdi did not like him that much.
Now I think Kaufmann has no business singing Otello, his voice although having a darker tint is essentially a lyric at most a spinto and lacks the necessary heft for several passages in Otello (just listen to Act 2 - C’io m'acora to Ora e per sempre.