Subject: Re: "Anthony Tommasini is Wrong If...."
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 20:46:03 -0400

London Tier wrote:

"I would have asked who precisely Trump means by "WE write symphonies." Name
an American symphony anyone cares about."

The "we" obviously refers, generally, to Western civilization, which was what Trump's speech
was about.  How could you miss that?

As for symphonies written by Americans - some of us know and care a great deal about
many of these superb contributions to the orchestral literature.  Copland wrote three (the
3rd in particular is a magnificent work); Ives wrote four (and a half, if you count his
unfinished "Universe" symphony) - there is a compelling performance of his 2nd conducted
by Bernstein; Barber wrote two (the 2nd is excellent).  In addition, there are fine
symphonies by Howard Hanson, Roger Sessions, Walter Piston, Irving Fine, and many other
American composers.  Some of these symphonies are actually performed more frequently in
Europe than in the U.S. (Presumably some people care about them over there as well.)
Personally, I would rather hear a great performance of Ives' Symphony No. 4 than an off-
the-rack minor symphony by Haydn.

Are any of these symphonies as popular as the Beethoven 9 or Brahms 1?  Certainly not,
but I assume you are not so foolish as to equate lack of popularity with lack of artistic
merit.  That you do not "care" about these great American works is your business (and IMO
your loss), but please don't presume to speak for the rest of us.

MDW