Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 16:27:33 -0700

There is something to be said for this.  Otello at the Met in the 20th
century included Leo Slezak in 1913 and then nothing until Giovanni
Martinelli did it in 1938.  Then there was Torsten Ralf, Set Svanholm and
Ramon Vinay then Del Monaco and after him Vickers, McCracken, and Domingo.
Yes there were others, notably in  Europe Carlo Cossutta a contemporary of
Domingo but today its it becoming almost a repertory piece.  Norma too From
Lilli Lehman in the 1880's and 1890's through Joan Sutherland in 1970, only
Lehmann herself, Ponselle, Cigna, Milanov and Callas.  After Sutherland,
everyone and her grandmother tried her hand at the role.  Now we have lyric
soprano's as Norma, mezzo soprano's as Norma.  I'm waiting for the
countertenor to take it on.

Donald