Subject: Re: Fascinating article with Jonas Kaufmann from Australia
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 18:57:26 -0400

I heard Kaufmann in Chicago as Cassio with one of the "struggling" Otello's,
in this case Ben Heppner, and he did sound a good deal better than the star
at that troubled point in his career.  But it is interesting how the
mystique of this part has completely disappeared.  Richard Tucker had the
traditional view that only a very special kind of tenor should dare approach
it, and felt that he did not have that voice.  Now everybody sings it as if
it were Rodolfo.

Some older singer has made the same point about 'Norma', I think.

David Kubiak