Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera'sMadame_Butterfly
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 10:23:40 -0400

Would appealing to common sense have stopped Romeo and Juliet?

One of the reasons Cio-Cio San has to be so young is that there is no
reasoning with the young when it comes to affairs of the heart.  The music
for Yamadori informs the audience and makes the tragedy all the greater
rather than offering Cio-Cio San a realistic alternative.  I also posit that
you could fairly easily take Butterfly and set it in any of the religious
cults with minor changes and staff it with any color / ethnic group you want
and it would work fairly well (not perfectly).

I think we sometimes miss the point that opera is about human foibles and
how the best intentions, the truest hearts, the sanest plans can often lead
to disaster.  It doesn't really matter race or gender:  life decisions that
lead to tragedy don't respect either.

The biggest problem (for me) is that too often the libretto is so weak as to
undermine the story, even in the greatest of operas.  There are often
unexplainable gaps and  logic flaws that I wonder why the composer didn't
send the words back for a redo.  Alas, we are stuck with what we have.