Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera’s à ¢â‚¬ËœMadame Butter flyà ¢â‚¬â„¢
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 09:59:35 -0400

Not a word I said - and I am in the habit of  trying not to waste too many -
would suggest that I advocate an alteration of MADAMA BUTTERFLY's
storyline.  What I did say is that it's possible to interpret that
storyline as
one of personal tragedy instead of one about pathetic victimhood.  It
doesn't
mean I love the opera any less than you or anyone else.  I might add that
the music (remember music?) associated in the score with Yamadori and
no one else, is worth considering as a clue from the composer that could
even lend support to my interpretation.  The best thing about art is that
you
don't have to enjoy it the way others tell you to.

dtmk