Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera’s ‘Madame Butter fly’
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 09:05:30 -0400

I hold my ground in seeing Butterfly as not playing the role of victim - at le
least until the very end.

I find it humorous – and to a point, ludicrous - when people who don’t like
the trajectory of a storyline, decide what the hero/heroine should have
done, as though THEIR idea is better than the tale’s creators.  Just imagine
what a lovely one act “Prince Yamadori’s Wedding” could have been had Bu
Butterfly only gone another route.

Those who disagree with me saying the odds were not stacked up against
her, should remember her father was forced to kill himself, both Butterfly
and her mother are poor as dirt, she is treated like chattel, publicly
disgraced and shunned by her family, has a half-breed bastard child by a
man she loved, yet who had no intention of doing anything beyond
seducing a 15 year old child and abandoning her for a “real wife” back ho
home.

To admonish her decision not to marry Yamadori changes the very nature
of her character and second guesses Belasco,  llica, Giacosa and Puccini.
The story is what it is and one either likes it or does not.  Despite those
who feel it should be shelved, Butterfly remains one of the most performed
operas around the world, including Asian nations, proving there is still an
audience for Puccini’s ultimate tear jerker.  I've loved her since my
childhood and can't imagine that will ever change.

p.