Subject: Butterfly
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2017 01:10:50 -0400

Butterfly is a Geisha. The training is pretty strict. Her father was a member of the warrior class, and she has a great deal of pride. She committed seppuku, the female version of harakiri, which how a Samurai must end his life if he has lost face.
Puccini was friendly with the American (?) ambassador in Rome, whose companion was a Geisha. As a Geisha she played the shamisen and taught Puccini the five authentic melodies he used in Butterfly.
Wasn't there a Japanese pavilion at a fair in either London or Paris that first brought Japanese design and culture to the Europeans? So all of this story and the visual esthetics were exotic and fascinating.
I am not sure her psychology is a fair match to what we would see in our own kids.

Sent from my iPhone

>> Prince Yamadori
>> represents a considerable deck of
>> the very cards that would eventually