Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera’s ‘Madame Butter fly’
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Aug 2017 17:17:03 -0400

Well, yes.  Wonkle anyone?  It's not just having an Indian or two, it's the
stereotyping of the 'injun,' especially the 'red' Indian Billy Jackrabbit.
Then we can spare a moment for the minstrel, Jake Wallace, often shown in
blackface  (although in Vienna they simply had his voice coming over a radio
and he never appears).  These are major blunders based on modern
sensibilities (though I maintain these missteps are relatively easy to
correct in stage direction).

But I think it may be more basic than that:  it is probably true that we can
find some reason for outrage if we look closely at many operas from great
and lesser composers.  We are simply in a period of time when small things
become large and outrage becomes art.  A lot of the protests are, in fact,
more about the individual who feels the grievance than the actual substance
of the 'plaint.  It was only a few weeks ago, for example, that some one
took umbrage because a Caucasian woman attending Butterfly with fashion
chopsticks in her hair became a true crime against Asians.  Part of it, to
bring just a touch of politics into it, is the nationalist movement where we
are splitting apart based on heritage rather than coming together as a
single nation.  Unless things change, such extreme opinions are likely to
become more frequent rather than less.

It is the time we live in.  Hopefully, our visit here will be short and
we'll move on to a more unifying and accepting time.