Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera'sMadame_Butterfly
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Aug 2017 14:38:08 -0500

In fact this is more the case in the “standard” version of the opera that we see today.

In the original, Butterfly is depicted more as mother than as victim. A careful reading of the original libretto shows this.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 1:43 PM, Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Oh my. Cio-Cio San is a "young woman who, though the cards of=20
> life are stacked against her from the beginning, refuses to play the vict=
> im." ??? In point of fact, she is the ultimate victim.

"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible." - George Burns