Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera’s ‘Madame Butterfly’
From: Jay & Ralph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Aug 2017 13:42:30 -0400

A few thoughts...

A discussion of ‘orientalism’ in ‘western art’
(or any discussion of ‘other’ within a perceived homogeneous aggregate)
always seems to descend into apologist (what we knew at the time) justifications.
(Colonialism be damned!)

Time (so far as we can tell) being linear and Art being a (contrived) window from/to the present, past and future,
we can enjoy a good story, good music or both, without the linear reality being imposed.

I am reminded that Butterfly was (before its collapse) the most performed opera
at San Diego Opera, the home of more retired US navy commanders than any other city.
Penitence? Or, ‘I was not the only one’, justification?

What about Mozart’s darkies in Magic Flute?  Enlightenment?