Subject: Re: Here’s why you can’t see Kaufmann’ s Otello in New York
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:09:00 -0400

This is not new news.  I think I first commented on the Met's contract
stipulations several years ago.  It speaks to a lack of cooperative
foresight on the Met's part, and does not build any sense of goodwill.  It
is another reason I have supported the Met less and less over the years.

As for the Otello production, it is a very dark (lighting-wise) staging that
did not bring any new insights.  Singing was fine, not outanding.  No
chemistry between Kaufmann and Agresta, though the interaction between
Kaufmann and Vratogna (driven by the latter) was strong.

DK

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 08:34:38 -0400, E J Michel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>----
>Here’s why you can’t see Kaufmann’s Otello in New York
>// @Slipped Disc
>
>Covent Garden’s extraordinary production of Verdi’s late masterpiece,
with Jonas Kaufmann making his debut in the title role, hits US screens from
tomorrow.

>Some screens.
>
>Very few, in fact.
>
>In New York, it will show at the Landmark Sunshine cinema on Houston Street
at 7:00 pm on Aug. 8.

>Now you would think there would be considerable interest among New York
opera lovers, Met-goers especially, to see and hear the foremost tenor of
the day in a signature role.

>So why only one cinema?
>
>Because all movie houses that take Live from the Met have been locked down
against taking operas from any other opera house. Simple as that. Thank you,
Peter Gelb.

>Here’s a link to help you find where Otello is screening in the US.
You’ll be sorry to miss it.