Subject: Re: Cultural controversy swirls around Seattle Opera’s ‘Madame Butterfly’
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Aug 2017 13:26:36 -0400

This is insane.  Exactly the sort of PC idiocy discussed in the Nordlinger article I posted the
other day.  For those who didn't read it, here it is:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442580/killing-aida-fatal-clash-art-identity-politics

Nordlinger writes:

"Art is in conflict with identity politics. You can have one or the other. You cannot have both.
Art is universal; identity politics is particular. Art is generous, inclusive — come one, come
all; identity politics is exclusive, often meanly so."

More specifically to the point:

"More recently, there have been cries in America against “cultural appropriation.” What does
that mean? For an answer, I turn, as usual, to Wikipedia: “the adoption or use of elements
of one culture by members of another culture.” Formerly, that was thought of as good:
open-minded, world-embracing, liberal."

No more, apparently.

Question:  Do I, as an American, get to have my own hissy fit over Puccini's "cultural
appropriation" of the American West in "Fanciulla del West?"  (Actually, common sense and
a reluctance to embarrass myself would keep me from having such a hissy fit, but I pose
the question anyway.)

When I hear someone whining about "cultural appropriation," particularly in connection with
art, I want to tell the whiner to shove it up their grievance-ridden backside and stop
demanding that everyone else cater to their delicate sensibilities.  These are people with too
much time on their hands and not enough of importance on their minds.  And the self-
abasing, guilt-ridden virtue signaling from opera managements like Seattle's is no less
irritating.

MDW