Subject: Re: Mahler's Song Cycles from Coote and Albrecht
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Aug 2017 12:17:16 -0700

Very glad to have this pointer.

Baker's performance of the Wayfarer songs with the SF Symphony in the late 70s was one of the great experiences of my life (but so were her perfs here of the "Rückert Lieder" and Berlioz "Nuits d'Été"). She could sing an exquisite pianissimo but, live, you could hear the sheer physical power her voice was capable of producing, overwhelming in the climax to the 3rd song, which you don't get so clearly from records.

Although my favorite was the Fischer-Dieskau/Furtwängler, I remember well the Flagstad recording (with ghastly cover art on the US London issue) and Christa Ludwig's. An older friend recounted hearing them sung magnificently by Lotte Lehmann, but I haven't been able to find a recording.

Coote would be just the kind of clear, clean high mezzo for these songs and she has the sensitivity to interpret them.

I'm an SACD fan and enjoy multichannel music, so will seek this out.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone