Subject: Mahler's Song Cycles from Coote and Albrecht
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:22:57 -0700

With so many great studio and live recordings
<http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=7537&name_role1=1&bcorder=1&genre=134>
of
Mahler's three song cycles for solo voice readily available, any new
contender has to offer something very special. On their new Pentatone
hybrid SACD, *Mahler Song Cycles*
<http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?ordertag=Comprecom7537-2248240&album_id=2253564>,
which is also available as a hi-rez PCM or DSD download in both stereo and
surround here <https://www.primephonic.com/mahler-song-cycles> and here
<https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/PTC5186576-mahler-song-cycles>,
mezzo-soprano Alice Coote and the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra under
Marc Albrecht present interpretations of *Lieder eines fahrenden
Gesellen* (Songs
of a Wayfarer), the five *Rückert-Lieder* (settings of poems by Friedrich
Rückert), and *Kindertotenlieder* (Songs to Dead Children) that can stand
up against those of, to mention only a few leading
mezzo-sopranos/contraltos of the last 70 years, Kathleen Ferrier, Janet
Baker, Christa Ludwig, Brigitte Fassbaender, Anne Sofie Von Otter, and
Frederica von Stade.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mahlers-great-song-cycles-beautifully-performed

---
Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA