Subject: Lehmann's love of the U.S.
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Aug 2017 16:35:43 -0700

Donald Kane wrote:

From:    donald kane <[log in to unmask]>

Must a foreign artist necessarily enjoy the experience of working in
the US?  Would Kaufmann be the first not to do so?  He might also
choose never to return to Australia after he sees what that's like.
For a German, I think Lotte Lehmann may have been unique in her
lasting enthusiasm for the American way of life.

I had a German grandparent, and I love almost all things German,
including the language and the real estate, but isn't there something
unfathomable about Germans themselves?  Grandpa sure was.

dtmk---

I have no desire to comment on European' artists' enthusiasm or
non-enthusiasm for the "American way of life," whatever that is. But in the
case of Lehmann, you have taken her actions out of historical context. She
fled Austria in 1937 after refusing to do as Goering wished.  In addition,
her step-children were part-Jewish, and barely escaped with forged papers.
She made a new life here, at a time when her voiced had already peaked, in
part because she could not continue to sing in Germany. Her singing
for American troops and everything else had everything to do with the war,
and what was going on in Germany. Even if she came across as gung-ho
American, one would be hard pressed to characterize this as "enthusiasm."
Whether or not she loved living in Santa Barbara, acceptance of what she
needed to do to survive and thrive would be more like it.

jason victor serinus

Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA