Subject: Re: "Tommasini is Wrong If...."
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Aug 2017 23:29:26 -0400

David Shengold wrote:

>"So, you are a bigot and a Fascist as well as a crashing bore?"

There's nothing wrong with multiculturalism. It's admirable and appropriate
to credit other civilizations with a degree of sophistication that merely
doesn’t fit comfortably into our own specific measures. But with
Tommasini again
we have what seems to be another extreme example of politically correct
thinking.

He contends the Beatles' song Eleanor Rigby, "is just as profound as
Mahler’s 'Resurrection' Symphony." He apparently believes that one cannot
assert that a good classical piece is necessarily better than a good pop
piece. And we can go into other art forms: Tommasini would have to hold
that Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' may be no better than Neil Simon's 'Plaza
Suite', that the Mona Lisa may not be higher art than Andy Warhol's
Campbell's Soup Cans. It's true that we cannot logically prove that
Mendelssohn's 'Scottish' Symphony is a greater work of art than Three Blind
Mice, but a consensus among reasonable people will overwhelmingly say that
it is.

What is also funny about Tommasini's contention is this: he speaks of
Eleanor Rigby as if it is a tangible, singular work of art, which it is
not... Why? Which version of the song is he referring to? Pop songs
typically have multiple arrangements and this one is no different: I found
several different Beatles versions of the song on YouTube, different
instrumentation, different vocalizing, etc. Does Mr. Tommasini even know
this? How can he assert that a work of art is profound without specifying
precisely what work of art he is talking about? And how idiotic to argue
that what makes "classical music" different is length! As if a short piece
by Webern, Schumann, Janacek or Debussy somehow is less representative than
longer works.... Just nutty.

(Ok - I'm sure he knows this, though he has not thought through the
consequences...)