Subject: Re: Conlon and Macbeth
From: Kathy Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Aug 2017 17:47:41 -0400

Having been a regular subscriber to LA Opera for the past 30 years, I can attest to the face
that no LAO conductor has been been better or more revered than James Conlon.  He is
admired, respected and loved by opera goers and orchestra members.  Before Dudamel came
 to LA to make the LA Phil the greatest philharmonic orchestra in the country, Maestro Conlon
was here transforming the LA Opera Orchestra into a world class orchestra that holds its own
on any stage, performing any music and not just opera.  While many of our artists are world
class and receive huge ovations, Maestro always receives the largest one.  And to round out
the picture, he gives talks and seminars (for free) all over the city and occasionally conducts
the orchestras of the USC Thornton School of Music and the Colburn School orchestra.  We are
so lucky here in LA with our burgeoning opera and classical and new music scenes, it is
remarkable.

And having seen the LAO Macbeth twice live at the Music Center, I certainly can assure you
that there is another dimension in the live performance than is contained in the DVD or
theater experience (which I too enjoy - but I appreciate that I can still get to the live
performances as well.)