Subject: Re: Here’s why you can’t see Kaufmann’s Otello in New York
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Aug 2017 11:15:34 -0700

So, here I go wasting my 2nd post of the day on ephemera.  Who knows the
answers.  It might be as simple as what they get paid to sing.  It's been
well known for years that the Met pays less then the big European houses.
Australia and Japan might attract the eye of Europeans because they pay
more just to make the trip worthwhile.  I know that at times the Met
figured out ways to pay under the table so to speak to engage certain
people but with the financial condition of the house now, probably not.
Those were the good old days when the house sold out regularly.  I know
(because of a friend in Munich who is close with her) that Anja Harteros
doesn't come over to this side of the pond because she has a husband who is
chronically ill and doesn't want to be a days travel away.  She has
received many offers but turns them down.  New York is about as close to
Europe physically and in outlook of any American city so, he has to have
other reasons.  Certainly not for lack of wursts.

Lehmann loved southern California.  Who could blame her?

Donald