Subject: Pavarotti 1969 RAI Luisa Miller
From: MD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Jul 2017 23:35:43 -0400

Given the recent discussion of this "live" broadcast, I went
back and re-listened.  This is Pavarotti only 1 year out from his
Met debut, right around when the first aria recording was
released on Decca - Donizetti and Verdi arias.  In a flash, I
was transported  back to hearing that magnificent instrument
for the first time - the metallic core, the shower of overtones,
the absolute solidity of the range and technique.  I remember
my jaw dropping at the sheer beauty of the voice in "Deserto
sulla Terra" - a bath of sensual, golden tone and solid
musicianship by instinct and ear.  The years coarsened his art
and his self-discipline flew away, but the late 60's and most of
the 70's admit him to the Pantheon of historically great tenors.
One of the ten best ever?  Hard to know without recordings of
de Reszke, Mario and Tamburini for comparison.  I would
put Pavarotti in his prime ahead of virtually any tenor of the recorded
era - in terms of vocal endowment - save Caruso, Gigli, Bjoerling
and Melchior.  If there needs to be one more, my nod goes to
Corelli.  Young people, who only encountered the buffoon giving
amplified arena concerts, singing Bocelli-esque pop tunes, perhaps regard my
ranking as heresy.  But he was once THE TENOR and it may take a generation
or two to re-evaluate him.  My .02