Subject: RING from Bayreuth starts today 12 noon EDT - What Voices...Oops!
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 30 Jul 2017 15:37:04 +0000

Tuned in late to the Bayreuth broadcast, chose Radio Clásica de España to get the commentary. I seemed to break in mid-performance.

First impression: This is not WALKÜRE but the last scene of SIEGFRIED...did I get the day wrong?

Second impression: These are the best voices I have heard in decades...who ARE these people? Is Bayreuth getting it together again, finally?

Sure enough, it is intermission and this was the Varnay/Windgassen/Ludwig/BRSO performance from 1955.

No question that Wagner voices are not what they were 62 years ago.

Andy Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ