Subject: Re: Opera in Films
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:48:49 -0400

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 06:50:57 -0400, Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Being a horror film advocate, I shall attempt to watch this Dario Argento
>film today on the internet.  It comes free with my Amazon Prime account.
>Thanks for the heads up. (I think)

I would advise against it, Idia.  I like horror films as much as the next person, and of course
I like opera much, much more than the average person, but I saw Dario Argento’s film
“Opera” when it first came out, and it was simply to much for me to bear.  The slash-and-
gore was relentless and it was also sadistic, disturbing, and repulsive in the extreme.  I
found myself shutting my eyes for a large part of the movie because I simply could not take
it.

Yes, the script was well written and the film kept you on the edge of your seat, and of
course the views of Parma’s magnificent Teatro Regio were stupendous, but what good is a
movie that you can’t bear to watch ?  It’s supposed to be “entertainment,” after all.

I just thought I would give you fair warning so that you are not blind-sided.  But if you do
decide to see it, do let us know what you thought of it.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.