Subject: Re: Jonathan Tetelman baritone?
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Jul 2017 22:28:24 -0400

No, I think it's very possible that he was being trained as a baritone back then - that was
recorded in 2010, clearly part of a college recital, along with another video of him singing
Figaro in "Dunque Io Son." As noted, tenors do sometimes start out as baritones. (The
opposite, which we can call "Domingo syndrome," seems a rarer occurrence lol.)

But speaking for myself as a professional musical director now, I would not ever want to
have clips of my college shows or recitals up on youtube, no matter how good I
*thought* I was back then, lol. (I'm sure I was as sloppy as Tetelman was with that
"factotum.") And similarly, it's not really great for Tetelman to have his amateur
performances posted. The baritone/college stuff should be taken down - it's not good
promotion for his career at this point. (If he gets to be a headlining tenor someday, he
could always post them for nostalgia or for fun, to say "look where I was back then" -
and it might be charming in that context. But not now.) This is the caveat of professional
performers (in particular, younger performers at the start of their careers) posting on
sites like youtube - one does want to be careful that people are only seeing/hearing you
at your best.

But yes, the much more recent "Kuda" was certainly worthy of being heard, and I would
certainly think a positive promotional video - I'm not sure what was behind the impetus
to remove it.