Subject: Re: LUISA MILLER recordings
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Jul 2017 09:53:38 -0700

The Moffo/Bergonzi/MacNeil recording is indeed marvelous and I agree with
Paul, to t his date, it has not been surpassed.  Luisa has been lucky on
recordings.  The Caballe/Pavarotti/Milnes recording and the
Ricciarelli/Domingo/Bruson recordings are indeed wonderful.  There is also
the old Cetra with Lucy Kelson, an aging Giacomo Lauri-Volpi and Scipio
Colombo that is usually forgotten but its an interesting relic.  It was
recorded ca 1951.  Lauri-Volpi was of course Rosa Ponselle's Rodolfo at the
Meet in 1929.  There is a Met Broadcast which might be or not available in
some form from Dec. 11, 1971 with a beautifully sung Luisa by Adriana
Maliponte, a great and sadly neglected soprano, John Alexander (Domingo had
been the prima), MacNeil and Bonaldo Giaiotti under James Levine.  Its a
superb perforomance.  The last Met production recorded with Aprile Millo,
Domingo, Vladimir Chernov also under Levine is on Sony and it has its
points.  I consider the last act a portent of things to come and just about
as good as anything Verdi wrote.  The preghiera for Luisa and both duets,
with Miller and Rodolfo, are top drawer Verdi.

Donald