Subject: Re: Luisa Miller Recording(s)
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:18:37 -0400

Let's make this .04 cents :-) I was just about to post about this often
overlooked live recording. I came across it by chance while searching for
just about anything with the great Matteo Manuguerra. I've heard quite a
few recorded LUISA MILLER recordings and find this the best conducted, Maag
giving us the most inspired reading of this transitional Verdi. I'm not as
familiar with Cruz-Romo but she was very good Luisa here and Pavarotti is
absolutely splendid in his best prime. I'm without words about Manuguerra's
Miller - it has to be heard to be believed. There is not an ounce of
exaggeration in Michael Delos' praise. Simply glorious. Both Walter and
Wrum are very solid, appropriately cast in their distinct voices.

I surely join all others in favoring the RCA set with Moffo, MacNeil, and
Bergonzi (the most stylish Rodolfo) over other studio recordings, but would
not want to be without this live gem from the mid-1970s.

Vesna