Subject: Re: Caballe (my evil thoughts), was 1973 Norma
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:16:57 -0400

I have been very interested to read the many informed responses to my
original posting about Caballé's "Norma", but I wanted to make sure I wasn't
losing my hearing, and did some Internet research on the 1973 Met
performance.  At least one critic heard what I did, Alan Rich writing in the
"New York Magazine":

"Montserrat Caballé was not just 'having pitch problems' [as Harold
Schonberg had apparently written], she was resolutely radiantly flat for
most of the evening ... "

But I think the several posts here have made clear the variability of her
remarkable instrument.  I must listen to the Orange performance, where by
all accounts all was close to perfection.

David Kubiak