Subject: Re: Caballe (my evil thoughts), was 1973 Norma
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:34:46 -0700

Hi,

A short reply to your questions although one from Maestro Innaurato would
of course be more to the point.

It was Caballe's Met debut as Marguerite in Faust that I think he was
referring to.  She obviously forgot her lines and either vocalized or
invented her own words.  Crooning is soft singing in an unsupported way,
not piano which is fully supported by the breath and part or should be part
of every singers technique.  Some singers simplify and adjust the music to
their abilities or lack of abilities.  Caballe did this at times and it is
unfortunate because she had the making of a truly great singer and was a
first class musician.  She got lazy and coasted.  This being said, in
concert she could have incredible charm and sweetness and when the voice
was working and all of the stars were aligned, the sheer beauty of her
voice and her native ability shown through. That's why we loved her.

But, as Al said, she was a big lyric soprano - never a true spinto let
alone a dramatic.

Donald