Subject: Re: Caballe (my evil thoughts), was 1973 Norma
From: "Steve B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:14:16 -0400

I was fascinated and grateful for Albert Innaurato's post on Caballe but the
assertion that she had no chest register brought back memories of the
wonderful debut album she made for RCA that was issued in 1966. I went back
to it today to see if my memory was correct and that she produced something
magical from the chest in the opening of the final cabaletta from Il Pirata.
It was as I remembered, pungent powerful as she sings of obscure shadows. I
dont have the libretto to hand but I think the phrase is 'teneri oscura' (?)
   After that first encounter with her voice I never heard her utter
anything like it again and so I see why it would be thought that she had no
chest. Maybe she felt that it threatened vocal danger, maybe not. That it
was within her capabilities seems impossible to doubt.
 Steve B.