Subject: Re: Jonathan Tetelman WOW!!!
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Jul 2017 00:13:57 -0400

Essentially agreeing with Donald on all counts - though I do wish young singers were
taught more rigorous acting/body training. The basic habit of all kinds of young singers
(not just opera) is to unconsciously express the feeling of the MUSIC, rather than to
respond and react to the words and thoughts being sung. I agree that Tetelman's empty
gesturing isn't as awful as many, though hopefully he will get better at it. The only truly
ridiculous gesture IMO is that thing he keeps doing with his spread fingers down by his
stomach, where he puts his fingers of both hands together to make a big hole. Not sure
what the hell that's all about lol.

I totally disagree with Mr. Geschke. Inasmuch as all singers need to make sure their
techniques are solid and in proper working order, I have no desire to watch a stage
performer "concentrate on maintaining the breath column." That's the "homework" that
goes into becoming a technically reliable singer. That's not what a singer should be
primarily thinking about when performing a stage role. As Donald implied, a singer that is
doing nothing but replicating technique onstage is not worth watching. Not on the opera
stage, not in recital, and not even in the concert hall.

Singers should absolutely be able to gesture, move, and express onstage. The question is
in finding the specificity of movement that is right for any given moment, not just that
typical meaningless symmetrical stock gesture stuff. And there's also nothing wrong with
not gesturing at all, as long as the body still seems free.

Not long ago, someone posted this video of Beverly Sills. What's particularly remarkable
about this performance is that she never feels that gratuitous need to start gesticulating.
Not even on the high notes at the end. But, aware that she's in close-up most of the
time, she knows how to express, tastefully and simply, with her face, eyes,and head. But
it's never "overcooked" - it's beautifully simple and it seems intimate and authentic
instead of overblown and melodramatic. Young singers should take notice of
performances like this - to see that you really don't need to do more than express the
truth of the lyric, no flailing arms necessary. ;-)

And yet, Mr. Geschke, I don't feel I'm watching her "maintaining her breath column." I'm
sure she is doing that - but that's second nature from years of practice. She's letting that
happen, but her primary task here is expressing the music and the words. THAT'S what I
want to see. Not a breath column lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yTeixRxPBg