Subject: Re: Caballé's 1973 'Norma'
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Jul 2017 15:21:38 -0500

 Interesting observation.  I was never able to make much of a connection with Caballe' either ------ after she really came into her own.  I was pretty unimpressed by her "Introducing Montserrat Caballe" on RCA in 1966 (was in my first year of Undergraduate School at the time), but then I did a complete about-face when I heard her Rare Verdi, Rare Rossini, and Rare Donizetti arias. Three fabulously sung recitals later joined together on RCA on CD. Wasn't all that carried away by "Traviata" or "Borgia" either. Then came the Leindsorf RCA recording of her "Salome" ---------- and she blew me away.  Couldn't believe that THIS opera could possibly be in her repertoire at all. In fact, to my ears, Salome remains Caballe's role.  Despite the excitement over her Norma, I never much appreciated it, despite those beautiful piano notes she was able to contrive so effortlessly.  For me, her Norma, like that of Sutherland's, lacked "bite" and real conviction. I own the 1973 Met broadcast, and I don't hear much to change my opinion.
she made it sound too much like an "assembly line" opera in her repertoire though she sang it very well indeed.  Don't care for the studio recording on RCA at all, but I DO find her 1974 Orange Festival live performance a big improvement.  I do not hear outright "flatness", but there are moments when she seems to be catching some of the notes by the underside, which can create an aural illusion of flatness.  One interesting thing about Caballe:  I can't think of any role she really "made her own".  I mean, there was the Flagstad Isolde, the Lehmann Fidelio and Seigliende, the Callas Norma and Traviata, the Vickers Otello and Peter Grimes, the Gobbi Scarpia, the Milanov Donna Leonora,  the Tebaldi Desdemona, the Price Aida, the Corelli Calaf, the Nilsson Turandot, etc.
     I can't seem to find a defining opera for Caballe.  She was a fabulous jack-of-all-trades, but for which role is she really remembered?  Just a thought.  Maybe it only in my own mind.