Subject: Caballé's 1973 'Norma'
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:44:45 -0400

I begin by saying what I have said here before, that I never managed to
achieve an emotional connection with Caballé's voice and so did not listen
to her much in her prime.  (I heard her only once in the theater in the late
60's and have no very vivid memories.)  As the saying goes, "It's my problem
and not hers."  But the Met Sirius channel has been playing her famous 1973
'Norma' with Cossotto, and I do have a question to put.  The floating high
notes above the staff and paranormal breath control are no doubt there, but
to my ears (I have heard the performance twice now) in the middle she sings
flat virtually the whole night, making for some awkward moments with
Cossotto, who at that point was solid as a rock.  Was this noticed at the
time by anyone?  Was it for some reason a fleeting aberration of the evening
or could it happen throughout her career?

Thanks.

David Kubiak