Subject: Luisa Miller with Millo
From: Michael Delos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Jul 2017 23:50:24 -0400

Though she didn't record it commercially, Luisa fit Aprile Millo
like a glove.  I was lucky enough to hear her do it at the Met -
the voice was ample in size and range and he really had the
Verdi sound - sort of a Milanov/Tebaldi fusion - as well as
strange arm movements straight out of a Theda Bara movie.
Strangely, I found it rather moving and took it as an homage
to a tradition that died with Albanese and Olivero.  Her other
Verdi roles were magnificent - how I wish it had all lasted longer!

Ermano Mauro was adequate, no more, as Rodolfo and even though
it was late, I count myself lucky to have heard Milnes
sing Miller - his 1st big success at the Met in the 66/67
season.  The acoustic of the house did much to smooth out
his vocal scratchiness, though the ugly notes just before
the passaggio were troublesome - but then, they always
were!  Still, there were few baritones who could punch
out those G's and A flats (and A naturals in OTELLO) like
he did.  Theatrically thrilling.