Subject: Re: OPERA-L Digest - 21 Jul 2017 to 22 Jul 2017 - Special issue (#2017-707)
From: chsiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Jul 2017 21:16:25 -0400

Hi all,
In more recent years (but now at least 5-10 years ago), there were some
lovely performances of this wonderful opera by Krassimira Stoyanova, and if
you can find these, they are worth hearing. Ramon Vargas sang in these as
well, at least those I've heard, but they did not find a mezzo the equal of
Verrett, as if anyone could, and no one the equal of MacNeil either.  They
don't make them like they used to, plain and simple.
Claudia