Subject: Re: LUISA MILLER recordings
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Jul 2017 23:23:23 +0000

The classic RCA recording was also my introduction to the opera and I still love it but over the years I've found Moffo to be too light for the dramatic moments of her role like "Tu puniscimi o signore" where her voice sounds under pressure. "Lo vidi" is her best moment and as a lyric coloratura the scena is a piece of cake for her.

Her shortcomings however become even more obvious when you hear a heavier voice tackle the role and that's what happened to me when I heard Caballe in her Decca recording. I was skeptical because it was recorded in 1975, a year after her stomach surgery that affected her top notes but I barely notice the beat on the highest notes that was to become her nemesis in later years. The Scala performance only a year later already shows her in trouble so the earlier live performance with Tucker is to be preferred. But I consider her studio recording one of her best Verdi recordings and with Pavarotti also in good form they're wonderful.

Luisa Miller seemed to have been in fashion in the 70s as there were so many productions in all the major opera houses San Francisco, the MET, Covent Garden, La Scala, Torino etc. The young Riccarelli is irresistible and with Pavarotti in San Francisco (1974) or with Carreras in Torino (1976) she's perhaps even more moving than Caballe and not less capable of dealing with the more dramatic moments of the role. Sadly the studio recording captures her at the end of her prime years when the top was already spreading too much and Domingo isn't my first choice for Rodolfo. The performance captured on video however shows how moving she could be on stage. Did no one attend her Luisa Miller performances with Carreras at the MET in 1978? The reviews were excellent.

Takis

|  | Απαλλαγμένο από ιούς. www.avast.com  |