Subject: Re: LUISA MILLER recordings
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:44:04 -0400

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 7:31 PM, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There are reasons enough not to mention it, but I can't help wondering
> what Verdi collectors think of the two performances I happen to own:
> the 1943, in German, with Maria Cebotari, Hans Hopf, and Josef
> Hermann, under Elmendorff, from Dresden;

I have this German recording on the Preiser CD and I'm afraid it didn't
work for me despite Cebotari's nicely projected youthful Luisa (no trills
though). I liked how Elmendorff handled the score, especially with the
orchestra. He's another underrated conductor and I've been a great admirer
of his 1930 TANNHAUSER from Bayreuth. But, on this recording, most
vocalists were not great Verdians of the calibre of Schlusnus and other
singers formed in the 1920s Verdi 'renaissance', so the overall vocal
effect was too Germanic for the Verdi style. (For a great Verdian singing
in the German language, the old recording of baritone arias by Joseph
Schwarz is the benchmark for me.)

I've seen only two DVDs of this opera and the one you have on CD with
Scotto and Domingo from the Met would be my video choice. It will be
interesting to compare it to the next year's Met production that will be
shown in HD.

Best, Vesna