Subject: Re: Luisa Miller recordings
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Jul 2017 00:35:33 +0000

In the Met Family Circle standing room: Caballe, Tucker, Bergonzi and Pavrarotti all sounded so great as to not care what they looked like, if you could even really see them. On DVD, they probably would not look very appropriate for those roles-LOL! While Moffo does often sound lovely on that recording, she seemed least vocally appropriate for her role.  Years ago, departing a plane while going through the first class section I noticed a man with that Luisa Miller recording on his lap. I thought, gee it was too bad I was not sitting next to him to discuss the opera and recording. When I got to the Customs area that man was standing behind me but I did not know who he was until a friend of his greeted him by saying welcome back Placido, when I turned around I realized it was Domingo. His Rodolfo, on the TV broadcast and DVD is IMO, one of his finest performances. I saw Bergonzi, very late in his career, as Rodolfo at the Met. He was still wonderful and brought down the House with the great aria. His voice did sound a bit dry and tired towards the end, but overall, gave a great performance. I can't remember the soprano's name, who never became famous, though I enjoyed her performance.