Subject: Re: Luisa Miller recordings
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Jul 2017 18:02:53 -0500

Hi, Everybody:
    It amazes me how critical opinion changes, and how many recordings or individual performances, which were initially (at the time of their release) lambasted to the dirt, are now recognized as being one of the best of their breed.
    I happened to find some very old issues of High Fidelity magazine (which has been out of print for decades) on shelves in the basement of my late uncle's house, and I went through quite a few of them (until the dust became unbearable and I had to stop).  There was a "new" review of the Moffo/Bergonzi/MacNeil recording of "Louisa Miller" on RCA (vinyl, of course).  I don't remember who the critic was (could it have been Conrad Osborne?).  At any rate, Moffo's performance was savaged in pieces.  The reviewer stated that Moffo was singing a role that required a Callas, and that she was stretching her voice out of bounds and producing ugly notes from start to finish. He said that her singing was stressed, unpleasant, and that she should never have been engaged for the recording.   He offered Leontyne Price as the only possible alternative for this role.  Bergonzi received positive reviews, but MacNeill's singing was rated as "as bad as Moffo's".  Yet NOW the recording is felt by many to be the best of the bunch.  I never heard the recording (though I intend to), and lived without the opera until the Caballe/Pavarotti/Milnes recording came out a decade later.  I admired their singing, but had a very difficult picturing either Caballe or Pavarotti appearing in these roles onstage.  But that's beside the point.
    I think that sometimes WE ourselves drastically change our opinions of recorded operatic performances.  I spent my childhood and early teenage years listening to the Toscanini Traviata.  What did I know then?  Very little.  Then, of course, I acquired the versions of Tebaldi, Moffo, Scotto, Sutherland, Cortrubas, and of course Callas. All are vastly different from Toscanini's (though some are incredibly slow and plodding by comparison), and it took me a long time to get used to these more recent recordings.  I also found some of the live performances that I saw in my adult years (some good ones, and a couple of very bad ones) to be inferior to what I heard on the recordings.
    Now, after close to forty years, I'm back to Toscanini's 1946 recording (on a great newly imported pressing from Pristine) and I find that I am astounded at what he makes of "Traviata".  The recording is surely controversial (as it always has been), but it does she one thing:  Our OWN tastes change, our senses change, and sometimes we reverse our opinions to the virtual opposite upon a revisit.
    So ----------- as they say, "Who's on first base?"