Subject: Re: Ades
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Jul 2017 16:21:47 -0400

Apart from his operas (which include Powder Her Face, written when Ades was
in his early twenties), I would suggest Ades's orchestral works "Polaris"
and "Asyla", and especially the orchestral song cycle for baritone and
mezzosoprano "Totentanz".  Mr. Ades is an accomplished pianist as well as
composer and conductor and there are several recordings of him playing
chamber pieces or accompanying singers.

You can find a performance of "Totentanz" (Simon Keenlyside, Jennifer
Johnston, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, conducted by the composer) here:
http://www.radio4.nl/zondagmiddagconcert/uitzending/376787/het-zondagmiddagconcert

There was also a recent inteview on BBC3 Music Matters, which should still
be available, and one that was part of the WCRB/WGBH "The Answered Question"
interview series.  (Mr. Ades has a wonderful speaking voice.)  Those within
striking range of Boston should keep an eye out for Mr. Ades's performing;
he is artistic partner with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and next seaons
leads the Festival of Contemporary Music at Tanglewood.

DK

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:23:23 -0400, Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Could some one of you erudite folk be kind enough to help me?  I must give
a two hour preview for audiences (many of whom have themselves too often
been trapped in seemingly endless dinner parties) who will see the
Exterminating Angel in HD.  I would like to play some "highlights" of Ades'
works, but have no idea where to start, other than The Tempest.  Most of
them, incidentally, rather liked that, although their hearts are still with
Verdi and Puccini.  What would you suggest?