Subject: Re: Overheard at the Met
From: RogerBrunyate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:56:44 -0400

Barbiere in Washington, 1972, a guest visit by the Piccola Scala. Only it was the Paisiello version, not Rossini's. Basically the same story, but in four acts, not three. The program synopsis, though, was Rossini's, which didn't matter much, except in this one respect.

OK, my wife and I had flown in that day from London, and decided to leave at the end of Act III. We were surprised to see that the act-end curtain calls went on for longer than usual, and there was a big line for taxis. Indeed, we had to share a cab back to the hotel. In the car, I wondered aloud if people maybe didn't realize the opera had a fourth act. Immediately the other man shouted, "You mean there's more? Stop the cab, we need to go back!"