Subject: Re: T-shirts, mini-skirts and flip-flops
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Jul 2017 00:15:05 -0400

The way people dressed in the nineteenth century and before, as well as
into the
twentieth, is copiously documented by illustrators, painters, and
photography.
Such evidence indicates that the climate was then notably cooler than it
has
become in the last hundred years.  This also suggests to me that global
warming or climate change is not such a recent phenomenon as we have been
led to believe, but actually commenced about a hundred years ago, and is
rapidly
becoming more oppressive.   Manners and fashion play a part, but I'm sure
a lot of those layers of cloth that used to be worn day after day, season
after season, would have been shed if summertime temperatures were as high
as they are now.

Wagner's Festspiel, has always been a July/August event: there was nothing
else going on at  Bayreuth; they had the whole year to play with. They were
surely more concerned with not having to heat the place than with cooling
it.

dtmk