Subject: Re: Overheard at the Met
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:58:46 -0400

At a sold out run of "Barbiere"in Washington with a young Ruth Ann Swenson & Richard Croft)
a woman in the row in front of me chattered away incessantly to her seatmate until the
overture.  A moment into it she blurted "Oh, I know this ... I love this song! . . . oh oh oh . . .
what IS the name of it? . . . " and so on.

Finally, I leaned forward and loudly whispered, "It's the Overture to the Barber of Seville."

She turned around, silent for a moment before loudly proclaiming "No. No, that's not it,"
provoking the first laughs of the evening.

* * * *

At the intermission of a revival of "Trittico" at City Opera, I stepped out onto the balcony for
some air. and spied an ancient, hard-boiled crone of a woman, chain smoking and reminiscing
about Sills' only performance in these operas.  In a raspy baritone she said, "last time I saw
this was back in '66 with Sills.  She had a F____n meltdown right there onstage, I tell ya.

p.