Subject: Re: Rheingold at BSO last night
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Jul 2017 17:05:39 -0400

Yup - that's exactly what happened. Elizabeth responded to Max's post, and his post
alone, but she was actually meaning to respond to an earlier post I wasn't aware of. (i.e.
the rest of the chain was not in the post, and in its own context it was very easy to think
she was speaking directly to Max.) I long for Opera-L to enter the 21st century, with
technology that would make such things clearer lol. Un bel di, vedremo??

Anyway, I think "tape" is still very much in our vocabulary, much as Tower Records stuck
to its name long after the overwhelming majority of their audio merchandise was on
CD's. When I'm rehearsing/coaching with a singer and they wish to record their music to
work on outside of the session, we often still refer to "taping" even though we obviously
know we're using a more recent technology. And a second ago I heard a news anchor
referring to someone being "caught on tape" even though again, it's no longer actual
tape.

And yes, the kinds of "tapes" we can't discuss here still happen. And I think they always
will. And if you remember things such as the Napster scandal, etc - yes, online sharing is
not supposed to be legal either. (Since then, the legit service that used to be called
Rhapsody is now legally and legitimately called Napster.)

I'm not sure about the legality of downloading between one's OWN devices - for instance,
if it's truly verboten to buy a CD and download the contents to your hard drive or your
phone, etc. I tend to think that even if that is technically illegal, it would be very hard to
regulate and prevent. Especially as people expect more and more to be able to have their
music on multiple devices.