Subject: Re: Overheard at the Met
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:04:16 -0400

Coming out of one of Birgit Nilsson's Met return performances as Elektra in 1980, the
following conversation was overheard between two audience members:

"So how did you like it?"
"Well, I was a little disappointed in Nilsson."
"Why?"
"She sounds so much louder on her recording."

At the New York City Opera in 1975, I attended one of Marilyn Niska's performances as
Salome.  I was sitting next to a sweet-looking little old lady with white hair, and we were
making conversation and she asked me what the opera was about.  I was a bit embarrassed
to go into much detail with someone who looked like my grandmother, so I just said, "Well,
you know the story in the Bible about Salome dancing for the head of John the Baptist?
That's what the opera is about."  After the performance everyone was clapping, including
the lady next to me, and she turned to me and said, "Oh, that was VERY distressing!"  Best
succinct summary of "Salome" I've ever heard.

MDW